Thursday 3 May 2007

remembering primary school...

I guess I have always been the guy that cared too much...primary school, grade 1, at age 6 or 7 Ciro gets put in charge of not one but three new kids...because I was friendly with almost everyone and secondly, I suspect, because the other children were too busy being children...but the child that once was me was always too intense...I stayed up nights worrying about them...will they be okay? I shed genuine tears when they got spurned by others...I stood in their corner and defended them...trying to bring them into the classroom circle. They didn't take it that bad...like water off a duck's back really...off they'd go again to play with someone else...me...I took their spurning as a personal insult...I remember them all. The giant of a boy that came into class blubbering in the first week of school...Who'll look after him, ah yes there is Ciro..put in charge of him. I felt really concerned and responsible for him cause he was so fragile...I couldn't really understand it though since he towered above all of us. Then there was the short kid with the really bad breath...wow...all the other kids are falling over, screeching and calling him stinky breath...me...I'm pretending that its all okay...holding my breath and consoling him whilst telling everyone else that he is okay....because I've been told to look after him...Then there was the American kid...Mr. Encyclopedia...everything is better in America..poor kid...Yaadayaadaa..blahblah...Ciro this is _ _ _ _ _ please look after him and make sure he's okay. So I spend my break times listening to his non stop chatter...I show him around the playground...I liked them all and they became friends but at times I wished I could have been like the other kids...running around the playground without a care in the world...

No comments: